The Book-keepers Forum (BKF)

Post Info TOPIC: September Furlough help please


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 95
Date:
September Furlough help please


Hi, I have a wages client whose staff have all been on furlough since April, he was wondering for September when he has to make up the extra 10% of their wages to 80%, if he can bring his staff into generate income to pay the 10%. Also he wonders if work does pick up in September, could he claim the 70% and the staff work the other 30% to top their wages upto 100%.

I don't think that he can do either, as if they work 10% of their hours, then wouldn't he only be able to claim 60% and still have to make up the difference to 80%?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for reading

Nicola



__________________

Nicola



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1107
Date:

Hi Nicola

Payroll is definitely not my strong point but my understanding is that the employees should be paid full wages for any time they work from their employer, and that they can only claim furlough for the portion of their contracted hours that they are unable to work.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 3579
Date:

Hi Nicola

Doug is correct, it simply wouldn't work that way.

He would have to pay full current pay to staff for the hours worked plus still make up the 10%* shortfall on the furlough grant on the hours not worked. Furlough can't be claimed for the hours worked.

Flexible furloughing is more complex than normal furlough and is calculated on hours not worked rather than days.

May be worth having a play with the HMRC calculator and input the figures he's looking at.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/calculate-how-much-you-can-claim-using-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

*Technically it's 14.3% as you have to add that percentage to get it back to 80%



__________________

John

Any advice given is for general guidance and professional advice should be sought applicable to your circumstances.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 95
Date:

Hi Both,

Thanks for the confirmation, I didn't think that he could do that.

Many thanks

Nicola



__________________

Nicola

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  

2007-2019 The Book-keepers Forum (BKF). All Rights Reserved. The Book-keepers Forum (BKF) is a trading division of Bookcert Ltd. Registered in England Company Number 05782923. 2 Laurel House, 1 Station Rd, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 6AR, United Kingdom. The Book-keepers Forum and BKF are trademarks of Bookcert Ltd. This forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any posting on this site is accepted by the contributors or The Book-keepers Forum. In all cases, appropriate professional advice should be sought before making a decision. We reserve the right to remove any postings which are offensive, libellous, self-promoting or engaged in covert marketing. We will not notify users of removals. The views expressed in the forum posts are those of the individual and do not necessary reflect or agree with those of The Book-keepers Forum. Any offensive or unsuitable posts will be removed by the moderators. Any reader of this forum can request for a post to be looked into by sending an email to: info@bookcert.co.uk.

Privacy & Cookie Policy  About