The Book-keepers Forum (BKF)

Post Info TOPIC: ATT Complete


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:
ATT Complete


Just got the email to say I had passed my ATT exam for VAT last May, I took the Law exam last week and managed to scrape a pass so was just waiting on this final result, took just over 2 years but all seems worth it now

Little break from studies and then on to CTA, might even treat myself to a few drinks to celebrate



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Veteran Member

Status: Online
Posts: 30
Date:

Congratulations smile



__________________
Riel



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 8291
Date:

Fab news Doug, knew you would do it!! Well done and definately deserving of a few drinks.



__________________

Joanne

Fallows Hall Ltd

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Thanks Riel, Thanks Joanne

Glad its over, its not the study or the exams its the 10 week wait for the results that is the hardest!



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 3258
Date:

Yay well done Doug. Compared to AAT, did you find it more or less difficult?



__________________

John

Any advice given is for general guidance and professional advice should be sought applicable to your circumstances.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Date:

well done

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Leger wrote:

Yay well done Doug. Compared to AAT, did you find it more or less difficult?


Thanks John, Thanks Casu

I don't think if I said that ATT was 10 times harder than AAT it would be an exaggeration, but then ATT is purely about tax and legislation where as the 2 tax units from AAT only cover the basics so it is probably unfair to make the comparison, however you can get an exemption from the Business Tax paper if you have completed the Business Tax unit of AAT and are a full member which I find amazing when comparing how much more you need to learn to pass the ATT exam.

Forgot to say but when I took my CBA in Law last week at a new venue I had to get frisked by a metal detector empty all my pockets and lift up my trouser legs to show I hadn't concealed anything which I thought was a bit over the top considering there was only room for 2 people to take the exams and the invigilator sat right behind us at another desk, thankfully there were no rubber glovesbiggrin



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Master Book-keeper

Status: Offline
Posts: 8291
Date:

lol Doug. Sounds a bit like a masonic thing with the trouser legs!!!!



-- Edited by Cheshire on Wednesday 18th of July 2018 06:21:28 PM

__________________

Joanne

Fallows Hall Ltd

Winner - Bookkeeper of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017

Thoughts are my own/not to be regarded as official advice,which should be sought from a suitably qualified Accountant.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Cheshire wrote:

lol Doug. Sounds a bit like a masonic thing with the trouser legs!!!!


It was certainly different, don't know what they expected to find except for a foot



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Forum Moderator & Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 11736
Date:

Congratulations Doug. Absolutely deserved matey...

All the best,

Shaun.

__________________

Shaun

Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Shamus wrote:

Congratulations Doug. Absolutely deserved matey...

All the best,

Shaun.


Cheers Shaun



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1957
Date:

Well done Doug!

__________________

Amanda



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Amanda wrote:

Well done Doug!


Thanks Amanda



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 138
Date:

Well done Doug, hope you're celebrating this weekend Bet you enjoyed the frisking more than the exam

__________________

Janet

They keep making the system idiot proof but then make bigger and better idiots!



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Kinbuck wrote:

Well done Doug, hope you're celebrating this weekend Bet you enjoyed the frisking more than the exam


Cheers Janet, not seen you on here for a while

Yes you cant beat a good frisk in the morning



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 312
Date:

Evening Doug
Ive just found this post through a search so I resurrected it to see if I could pick your brains.
Ive just registered as a student with the ATT and Im keen to start studying but I was just wondering which study books you used?
Im not going to use a training company, I shall just self study but there does seem to be a lot of different manuals.
Thanks in advance

__________________

Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

lots to learn wrote:

Evening Doug
Ive just found this post through a search so I resurrected it to see if I could pick your brains.
Ive just registered as a student with the ATT and Im keen to start studying but I was just wondering which study books you used?
Im not going to use a training company, I shall just self study but there does seem to be a lot of different manuals.
Thanks in advance


Hi Valerie

As far as I am aware it is only Tolley who supply the study materials, I never used a training provider myself and just bought the material direct from the Tolley website and then booked my exams at the nearest venue, exams only take place twice a year in May and November, not sure if it is still the same but to gain a pass you needed to do the Personal Tax & Business Tax papers and then one optional paper (I did VAT) you also need to pass two Computer Based Tests which are Law & Ethics, they were talking about bringing in another CBT but I completed before so not sure if they did or not.

Funny enough I have just gone back to ATT and decided to do IHT, Trusts and Estates as I find this subject quite interesting and bought the study material mid Jan with a view of taking the exam in May.

Good luck, it is quite challenging but well worth it for the Tax knowledge you gain from it.

(And don't forget to purchase the legislation books you will definitely need them and you are allowed to take them into the exams)



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 312
Date:

Morning Doug

Thanks for your reply.

I've just had a look at the books now, quite pricey but cheaper if bought through the ATT website. You're right they have brought in another computer based exam so 3 in total but the ATT sell the study books for these.

So, my intention is to order books and apply to take the first exam Personal Taxation in May. To be clear, would I need both of the Tolleys yellow and orange tax books for this?. I'm wary of buying too many all at once for the change in legislation. I would hope to take another written exam probably in 2021 and the computer based ones in between somewhere.

I am really looking forward to it as a lot of my work is tax and sad I know but I do enjoy it. Good luck with the trusts and estates, I can imagine probably fancying doing this too later down the line but like you I'm going to do the VAT first.

Thanks
Valerie



__________________

Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

lots to learn wrote:

I've just had a look at the books now, quite pricey but cheaper if bought through the ATT website. You're right they have brought in another computer based exam so 3 in total but the ATT sell the study books for these.

So, my intention is to order books and apply to take the first exam Personal Taxation in May. To be clear, would I need both of the Tolleys yellow and orange tax books for this?. I'm wary of buying too many all at once for the change in legislation. I would hope to take another written exam probably in 2021 and the computer based ones in between somewhere.

I am really looking forward to it as a lot of my work is tax and sad I know but I do enjoy it. Good luck with the trusts and estates, I can imagine probably fancying doing this too later down the line but like you I'm going to do the VAT first.


Hi Valerie

I bought the legislation all in one go (which I am pretty sure was about 90.00 with the student discount) when I first started which was for 2015/2016 and to be honest used these throughout with never updating because not just of the price but of the amount of pages that I had highlighted it would have taken forever to do again in the new books, but that was me and I would never advise anyone to do it this way, it would be your choice because as you say there is always changes in the legislation, also do not be fooled into thinking there is only 1 Yellow book and 1 Orange as there are in fact 6 Yellow and 2 Orange which are massive, in fact most students bring carry on cases to get them to the exam hall, I needed a rucksack (No Joke).

I still use the 2015/2016 books now and have no intention of buying new for the IHT/Trusts exam

Once you are a student you should get emails about webinars that that BPP do, definitely worth taking part as not only are they are free but really do help especially the one about 'how to use the legislation' I found this vital as it shows the best way to highlight the information to make it easier to find during the exam.

Hope that helps and good luck.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 312
Date:

Many thanks Doug.
Thats really helpful.
Good luck with your studies too.

__________________

Responses are not meant as a substitute for professional advice. Answers are intended as outline only the advice of a qualified professional with access to all relevant information should be sought before acting on any response given.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 961
Date:

Hi Valerie

Not sure if you are aware but if you are planning on taking an exam in May then you need to book it before Feb 29th or you will have to pay an additional late entry booking fee.



__________________

Doug

These are only my opinions of how I see things and therefore should not be taken as advice

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  

2007-2019 The Book-keepers Forum (BKF). All Rights Reserved. The Book-keepers Forum (BKF) is a trading division of Bookcert Ltd. Registered in England Company Number 05782923. 2 Laurel House, 1 Station Rd, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS22 6AR, United Kingdom. The Book-keepers Forum and BKF are trademarks of Bookcert Ltd. This forum is a discussion forum only. There will usually be more than one opinion to any question and any posting should not be viewed as a definitive solution. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any posting on this site is accepted by the contributors or The Book-keepers Forum. In all cases, appropriate professional advice should be sought before making a decision. We reserve the right to remove any postings which are offensive, libellous, self-promoting or engaged in covert marketing. We will not notify users of removals. The views expressed in the forum posts are those of the individual and do not necessary reflect or agree with those of The Book-keepers Forum. Any offensive or unsuitable posts will be removed by the moderators. Any reader of this forum can request for a post to be looked into by sending an email to: info@bookcert.co.uk.

Privacy & Cookie Policy  About